Wednesday, April 27, 2011

SO EXCITED TO RACE!!!!

Thanks for checking in!! I cannot believe that I will be racing the Wildflower Triathlon for the 3rd time this weekend! This really is one of my favorite races (the olympic distance, NOT the half iron). For those who have never done this race, it is certainly one of the old school triathlon races on the scene, that attracts a top pro field, and is one of the most competitive age group races around being the second largest triathlon in the world and its location in the global triathlon mecca which is California!


This year is a very important year for me in terms of triathlon racing. I had a REALLY terrible 2010 season, recovering from stress fractures in both my lower legs from over-running on the asphalt streets in San Francisco. Then in my first race back in early June, I had a nasty fall on my bike damaging my s-works time trial bike and dislocating my thumb. Note to all out there - DO NOT USE BAKING FLOUR TO MARK THE BIKE COURSE CORNERS! This is DANGEROUS to the athletes!!!

This year, I am coming off an awesome off season where I paid special attention to my running and spent way to many laps and painful mile repeats on the track, and worked on my overall core and functional strength. I am injury free, feel super fit, have all my equipement and pride repaired. So, I fell pumped and ready to go for the Olympic distance race on Sunday.

I raced this race in 2008, and finished with a very strong 7th place in the super competitive Mens 25-29 age group. I am now an age group up, and feel like I have made progress in my training. It's really hard to have goals, as I do not know who I am racing against. But, my goals are to #1 have fun, and to not get negative during the race regardless of how things are playing out. Second, I want to be really strong throughout the entire race, and finish with a strong last 2km on the run. Third, I want to drink beer at the finish with my friend Scott and the crew in the sunshine :)


My Weapon - "Bullet" - fastest bike around!

Swim Gear


Racing bib and flats


Me with Wildflower camping pass


A little self motivation ;)

Just finishing off my taper this week with a few rides on Bullet and some open water swimming in the brisk waters of SF bay. Feeling good, and ready to give it my all on Sunday. Check back for my race report :)

YYYEEAAAHHHHH!!!!!

Stephen

1 comment:

Lisa Ulrich said...

Yay! You are going to have an awesome race this weekend - and for sure keep the negative self-talk at bay, especially during the run when it gets tough.

Haha - hilarious pics! Love it!