Friday, April 1, 2011

"March Madness" - a whole lotta biking :)

So.....what's a triathlete to do when he has 2 consecutive races cancelled, when all the training has been done, and a full on taper is complete??

"MARCH MADNESS" bike camp is what you do!!

Of course, immediately after last weekends cancelled race, the weather  in California took a turn for the better and it has been absolutely sunny and hot here! With the way my work shifts fell this week, I was in a position to do some serious training this week. I must admitt that I am totally sick of swimming and running right now, and the thought of anymore laps in the pool or on the track just makes me cringe! And with all the rain we had been having, I really have not been putting any serious mileage onto the bike.

I kinda made up my mind that this was to become "March Madness" week, and that I would get a significant block of cycling in to prepare for my upcoming races. And the conditions could not have been better, as likely all 3 of my upcoming races will be in the heat - Wildflower, Ironman 70.3 Hawaii, Great White North Triathlon.

I was able to ride the Tiburon Loop 5 days this week - Mon/Tues/Thurs/Fri - with Thursday's version being extended into a brick with a VERY difficult 60min run off the bike including 80 degree temperatures, running on the beach and 2 sets of the incredibly difficult sand ladder. OUCH, but I rocked it!

Tiburon Loop

The loop is one of my favorite rides, and gives around an 85-90km ride depending on where you start from. So, that gave me somewhere around 450km of cycling this week. I think that is probably the most I have ever done. I thought that since I have the time, and the conditions were ideal, I would make the most of my tapered body and really put in some good training.

Time for an ice bath and some beer!!

Have a great weekend, and best of luck to all the athletes who will be racing in Oceanside this weekend, as the weather has finally cleared in California!

Steve

No comments: