Monday, March 28, 2011

Another race cancelled :(

Ok, so the 2011 season is not off to the start in which I had invisioned :( Actually, the season has not really started for me at all, as yet another race has been cancelled. The rain was just too much again this past weekend, and the race was called off again. 2 cancelled triathlon's in 2 weekends, and I am not a happy triathlete.

The good thing is that these were not my "A" races, but were a pretty important part of my training leading into my "A" races which will start to hit in about a months time. I was however, able to drive home late Saturday night after sitting in my car and watching the rain in San Luis Obispo. I knew there would be a running race for me on Sunday morning in San Francisco, and so that is what I opted for as I needed more racing under my belt.

The race I found was the Bay Trail 4 Mile run. I awoke at 7:45am, ate a banana and 2 cups of coffee, and was out the door to the race. Got registered, warmed up, and never really gave much thought to my race strategy. I was simply happy to be racing!! I struggled to get into the zone for the first 1.5miles, although I was going at a good pace. I then started to feel like my old self racing. I felt that I was able to push myself, and at the 3 mile mark, I was actually able to kick it up a gear and really went for it. My final time of 25min 31sec was good enough for 13th place overall, and a personal best by over 40sec at the 4 mile distance. I was really happy that I was able to average under 4min per km (3:57/km), and that I was able to hold a hard pace for the entire race.

The next block of training will see an emphasis on the longer workouts, as I have some longer distance races quickly approaching. I guess as the saying goes "when life gives you lemons, make lemonade". Hopefully the next set of training and races will make up for the 2 consecutive cancelled races. My mom told me that "my day will come soon enough", so back to training it is :)

Train hard y'all!

1 comment:

Charisa said...

2 races canceled - rain rain go away!