Sunday, March 20, 2011

Race Cancelled :(

So, I was pretty worried about the Santa Barbara triathlon all week. I was busy studying the forecast to try and figure out my race wheel set for Sunday - disc rear or not. It quickly was becoming apparent that weather was going to be a major factor for the race. As the week progressed, so did the TERRIBLE weather forecast. Everytime I checked, it got worse. I am not kidding. On Saturday morning, I had to decide whether or not to drive the 6+ hours to Santa Barbara to race. With a severe weather advisory including 40mph gusting winds, 100% chance of showers, and heavy rain, I decided this was NOT safe, and the beginning to my 2011 triathlon season would be postponed. I then recieved an email this morning from the race director stating the race had been cancelled due to weather :( There was only 1 other time I can remember having a race cancelled - Canadian National Championships in 2004 - Kelowna. There was a freak thunder/rain storm that only lasted the morning of the race, then cleared up immediately after. But, the race was cancelled. I am happy that my intuition was smack on for this one. I want to be healthy and injury free for my upcoming series of "A" races - Wildflower, Hawaii, Great White North. On a good note, I did a 750m time trial in the pool this week as a lead into the race, and was able to crank out a 9min 55 sec personal best. My training appears to be going really well :) So, I have decided to purchase a ticket for the monthly dance circuit party here in San Francisco called FRESH. This party is alway's alot of fun, and I look at it as getting a great 3-4 hour cardio workout with great music and an electric atmosphere. Next up is the San Luis Obispo Sprint triathlon Mar 27. Looking at the forecast, it is calling for rain :( We shall see what happens, and hopefully we will not have another cancellation!! Keep happy and healthy, Stephen

No comments: